Sunday, September 27, 2009


I LOVE this time of year when the trees begin to change and the days are balmy and sunny. Not too hot, not too cold (though a cold or hot day can still pop up here or there). Today, Russ and I took advantage of this sunny, balmy day and rode our bikes on the prairie path. I did not wear my cycling shoes or bike shorts. Just wanted to take a nice cruise through the prairie wilderness and enjoy the ride (it is, afterall, the triathlon off season for most of us). The wind picked up as we headed out and by the time we got home, it was quite windy! Resistance makes for a good workout!


I forgot my camera! But I did find the two plants that seem to have caught my attention on this ride on google images.


Remember Milk Weed?



I remember as a kid cutting them open to see the "milk" only to find GLUE. It was sticky and a little smelly, if I recall. But it was fun to discover the unusual stuff inside. There was plenty of milk weed in the prairie this week and some caterpillars found their way to them. Hmmm...wonder if they poke through the blossom and drink the "milk".


My favorite late summer, early autumn wild plant is the Cat Tail. Usually found in swampy areas, the prairie is full of clusters where water likes to pool or where the brook babbles here and there.


So pretty, wispy and whimsical!


An hour later...our lungs were filled with fresh air, our beings filled with the beauty of God's creation and our legs filled with unsteady jiggle as we had worked hard peddling uphill with the wind in our faces. Invigorating!

I love riding my bike....

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race."-H.G. Wells

No comments: